Browse Items (32 total)
|1895 Treasurer’s Annual Report for the Church of the Redeemer in Alton||This three-page typed document is the annual financial report of the treasurer of Church of the Redeemer in Alton, Illinois in 1895. The report covers the fiscal year starting October 1, 1894 and ending October 1, 1895. The Church of the Redeemer was built in 1870, changed its name to First Congregational Church in the middle of the twentieth century, and closed its doors in the latter half of the century. The building still stands at the intersection of Sixth and Henry Streets (600 Henry Street) in Alton. As of September 2018, it is the site of the Whole Truth Church of Christ.
This newsletter was digitized by Phillip Schneider as part of History 400: Community-Engaged Digital History.
|1895-10-01||September 16, 2018|
|Certificate of Baptism for Anne Louise Gregory, December 1, 1898 in Alton||This is a certificate of baptism for Anne Louise Gregory (b. 1893) on December 1, 1898 in Alton. She was the daughter of Samuel Henry Gregory and Mary Martha Gregory and was baptized by Pastor Henry K. Sawborne.||1898||March 15, 2019|
|Souvenir-Album of Our Boys In the Great World's War, 1914-1918: St. Paul Lutheran Church||This book was produced by St. Paul Lutheran Church of Hamel, Illinois to honor the church's members who served in the United States Armed Forces during World War I. The book pictures every member who served along with a brief biography and description of their service in the war. Other WWI-era documents produced by church members are also featured in this album.||Circa 1920s||April 11, 2019|
|1921 Year Book and Directory for The Church of the Redeemer in Alton||This yearbook and directory were printed for Church of the Redeemer in Alton, Illinois in 1921. The book offers a detailed history of their building and the congregation. Also contained in the booklet is the church’s constitution, standing rules (bylaws), and explanations of their denomination (Congregationalism) and church membership. The rest of the booklet is dedicated to listing the names and address of the church’s members. The Church of the Redeemer changed its name to First Congregational Church in the middle of the twentieth century and closed its doors in the later half of the century. The building still stands at the intersection of Sixth and Henry Streets (600 Henry Street) in Alton, Illinois. As of September 2018, it is the site of the Whole Truth Church of Christ. This booklet also contains numerous advertisements for area businesses who sponsored the printing of the booklet.
This booklet was digitized by Phillip Schneider as part of History 400: Community-Engaged Digital History.
|1921-2-21||September 16, 2018|
|Flier for the Methodist Episcopal Church in Glen Carbon||Flier is for: Dedication Service on February 19, 1922 for Bishop William A. Quayle, D. D., L. L. D. Officiating.||February 19, 1922||December 8, 2016|
|Little Light Bearers of the Women's Foreign Missionary Society||The photo features the Little Light Bearers of the Women's Foreign Missionary Society of the Collinsville Methodist Church.||June 1933||October 26, 2017|
|1940 Ticket for Evangelical Lecture in Granite City
||This ticket for an evangelical lecture belonged to Granite City resident Ernie J. Vaught. He attended the event at 7:30 p.m. on June 24, 1940 with his son William. The Big Tent was set up near 1800 Adams St. where Prairie Farms Dairy is now. The ticket for the event cost 35 cents. Charles Forbes Taylor (born 1899) was a traveling Baptist evangelist and author. Also featured on this card is Charles Taylor's brother, Laurie, who was also a minister, pianist, and composer. He often accompanied his brother Charles at evangelical events.
This certificate was digitized by Kelli Killion as part of History 400: Community-Engaged Digital History.
|June 24, 1940||September 15, 2018|
|October 30, 1942 Regional Sunday School Conference of the Assemblies of God||This photograph was taken on October 30, 1942 at the Regional Sunday School Conference of the Assemblies of God churches located in or around Wood River, Illinois. The conference was hosted at First Assembly of God in Wood River, which was built in 1923 and located at 78 E Jennings Avenue in Wood River, Illinois.||1942||August 4, 2017|
|1945 Church of the Redeemer Congregational Church in Alton||This photograph was taken in November 1945 as part of the commemoration of the Church of the Redeemer’s 75th anniversary. The church was first built in 1870 and was expanded in 1902. The building still stands at the intersection of Sixth and Henry Streets (600 Henry Street) in Alton, Illinois. As of July 2017, it is the site of the Whole Truth Church of Christ.||November 1945||July 20, 2017|
|St. Paul Lutheran Church 90th Anniversary History Pamphlet||This pamphlet was created to accompany the 90th anniversary celebration of St. Paul Lutheran Church in Hamel, Illinois. The pamphlet includes a brief history of the church along with a listing of the church's pastors and school's teachers.||1946||April 15, 2019|