Horseshoe Lake, 2016

Order from Major General E.R.L. Canby for Elliot Mudge


“Order from Major General E.R.L. Canby for Elliot Mudge,” Madison Historical, accessed June 20, 2024,


The content of Madison Historical: The Online Encyclopedia and Digital Archive is publicly available for use in research, teaching, and private study. Encyclopedia articles, oral histories, web design, and other content original to Madison Historical are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Images in encyclopedia articles not part of the digital archive are either in the public domain or Madison Historical received use permission by the original creators. While in most cases Madison Historical received permission to publish archive items from the institution or individual who possessed the item, it has not determined their copyright status. Please contact the possessing institution or individual for additional information regarding copyright status.


This is an order from Major General E.R.L. Canby permitting Elliot L. Mudge to return to his home without being taken by U.S. authorities. It is presumed that Mudge's middle initial was written as "L" in error.


  • No. 11

                                                                                        Gainesville      May 12th, 1865

    Private Elliot L.  Mudge of A Company1st  Regiment Louisiana Cavalry C.S.A., residing in New Orleans, La having been, with the approval of the proper authorites, paroled, is permitted to return to his home, not to be disturbed by the United States authorities, so long as he observes his parole and the laws in force where he may reside.

                By order

                Major General E.R.L. Canby, U.S.A.

    [illegible signature]

    E.S. Dennis
    Brig Gen [illegible signature]          

In Collection


  • Military
  • Civil War
  • government


  • Mudge, Stephen


May 12, 1865


  • Miscellaneous Document


  • pdf


  • Mudge-Steve-D-0022
We are always committed to accuracy in our articles and archive items. If you notice a mistake or have a suggestion, please contact us.