Bluffs and Piasa Bird, 2016

Exteriror image of the Donk Brothers Mine no. 2


“Exteriror image of the Donk Brothers Mine no. 2,” Madison Historical, accessed March 1, 2024,


The content of Madison Historical: The Online Encyclopedia and Digital Archive is publicly available for use in research, teaching, and private study. Encyclopedia articles, oral histories, web design, and other content original to Madison Historical are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Images in encyclopedia articles not part of the digital archive are either in the public domain or Madison Historical received use permission by the original creators. While in most cases Madison Historical received permission to publish archive items from the institution or individual who possessed the item, it has not determined their copyright status. Please contact the possessing institution or individual for additional information regarding copyright status.


This is a back and white image of the exteriror of the Donk Brothers Mine in Maryville, Illinois. The image is labeled "Donk Colliery Maryville ILL." Three buildings are visible in the image including the tall exteriror of the mine entrance, four smokstacks, as well as a power line in the foreground. The second image is an edited version of the original commissioned by the Maryville Heritage Association. The image is undated, but the mine was in operation from 1902 to 1925.


  • Maryville
  • mine
  • mining
  • Donk Brothers


circa 1910s - 1920s

Relevant Encyclopedia Article


  • Photograph


  • Black and white photographic print
  • jpg


  • Maryville, Illinois
  • 1910s


  • MHM-P-0003a
  • MHM-P-0003b
We are always committed to accuracy in our articles and archive items. If you notice a mistake or have a suggestion, please contact us.