Great River Road, 2016

New Douglas

December 8, 2017

Last modified: January 26, 2018

The first American settler of New Douglas township was Daniel Funderburk, who was originally from South Carolina. Funderburk settled in 1819 and was the only township resident for years. The village of New Douglas was laid out and plotted by Alonzo Foster on September 5, 1860.1 Foster named the town for Senator Stephen A. Douglas of Illinois.2 The village of New Douglas was incorporated on December 16, 1874.3, and by 1880 had a population of 400.4  As of the 2010 census, the village of New Douglas has 319 residents.5

New Douglas in 2017
From the Maps & Plats GIS Division of the Madison County Chief County Assessment Office

Endnotes   [ + ]

1. History of Madison County, Illinois, Illustrated. With Biographical Sketches of many Prominent Men and Pioneers (Edwardsville: W. R. Brink and Company, 1882), 529 – 30.
2. W. T. Norton, ed., Centennial History of Madison County, Illinois, and Its People, 1812 to 1912. (Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1912), 583.
3. Flagg, James S., editor, Our 150 Years, 1812-1962. (Edwardsville: East 10 Publishing, 1962.), 61.
4. Statistics of the Population of the United States at the Tenth Census (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1883), 139.
5. Illinois: 2010, Summary Population and Housing Characteristics, 2010 Census of Population and Housing (Washington: Bureau of the Census, 2012), 64.
Cite this article: Nichol Allen, "New Douglas," Madison Historical: The Online Encyclopedia and Digital Archive for Madison County, Illinois, last modified January 26, 2018, https://madison-historical.siue.edu/encyclopedia/new-douglas/.
We are always committed to accuracy in our articles and archive items. If you notice a mistake or have a suggestion, please contact us.