December 7, 2017
Last modified: February 26, 2018
Moro is a township and unincorporated community northeast of Bethalto. Zenas Webster and S. W. Paddock were the first Americans to settle township 6 north range 8 west on December 11, 1820.1 The railroad was built in 1853 and ran through Moro, which created subsequent growth. James H. Smith and James Montgomery platted the town on March 7, 1855. On August 23, of the same year minor adjustments were made and the town was named Moro.2 As of the 2010 census, the township of Moro has a population of 3,551.3
Endnotes [ + ]
|1.||arrow_upward||History of Madison County, Illinois, Illustrated. With Biographical Sketches of many Prominent Men and Pioneers (Edwardsville: W. R. Brink and Company, 1882), 491.|
|3.||arrow_upward||Illinois: 2010, Summary Population and Housing Characteristics, 2010 Census of Population and Housing (Washington: Bureau of the Census, 2012), 64.|
Cite this article: Nichol Allen, "Moro," Madison Historical: The Online Encyclopedia and Digital Archive for Madison County, Illinois, last modified February 26, 2018, https://madison-historical.siue.edu/encyclopedia/moro/.
We are always committed to accuracy in our articles and archive items. If you notice a mistake or have a suggestion, please contact us.