Bluffs and Piasa Bird, 2016

Browse Items (32 total)

  • Tags: Religion
Thumbnail Title Description Date Date Added
1895 Treasurer’s Annual Report for the Church of the Redeemer in Alton This three-page typed document is the annual financial report of the treasurer of Church of the Redeemer in Alton, Illinois in 1895. The report covers the fiscal year starting October 1, 1894 and ending October 1, 1895. The Church of the Redeemer was built in 1870, changed its name to First Congregational Church in the middle of the twentieth century, and closed its doors in the latter half of the century. The building still stands at the intersection of Sixth and Henry Streets (600 Henry Street) in Alton. As of September 2018, it is the site of the Whole Truth Church of Christ.

This newsletter was digitized by Phillip Schneider as part of History 400: Community-Engaged Digital History.
1895-10-01 September 16, 2018
1940 Ticket for Evangelical Lecture in Granite City<br /><br />
This ticket for an evangelical lecture belonged to Granite City resident Ernie J. Vaught. He attended the event at 7:30 p.m. on June 24, 1940 with his son William. The Big Tent was set up near 1800 Adams St. where Prairie Farms Dairy is now. The ticket for the event cost 35 cents. Charles Forbes Taylor (born 1899) was a traveling Baptist evangelist and author. Also featured on this card is Charles Taylor's brother, Laurie, who was also a minister, pianist, and composer. He often accompanied his brother Charles at evangelical events.

This certificate was digitized by Kelli Killion as part of History 400: Community-Engaged Digital History.
June 24, 1940 September 15, 2018
Little Light Bearers of the Women&#039;s Foreign Missionary Society The photo features the Little Light Bearers of the Women's Foreign Missionary Society of the Collinsville Methodist Church. June 1933 October 26, 2017
October 30, 1942 Regional Sunday School Conference of the Assemblies of God This photograph was taken on October 30, 1942 at the Regional Sunday School Conference of the Assemblies of God churches located in or around Wood River, Illinois. The conference was hosted at First Assembly of God in Wood River, which was built in 1923 and located at 78 E Jennings Avenue in Wood River, Illinois. 1942 August 4, 2017
1945 Church of the Redeemer Congregational Church in Alton This photograph was taken in November 1945 as part of the commemoration of the Church of the Redeemer’s 75th anniversary. The church was first built in 1870 and was expanded in 1902. The building still stands at the intersection of Sixth and Henry Streets (600 Henry Street) in Alton, Illinois. As of July 2017, it is the site of the Whole Truth Church of Christ. November 1945 July 20, 2017
Front View from the South of the St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Glen Carbon Two photograph of the St. Thomas Episcopal Church from the south. The church is located at 182 Summit Avenue in Glen Carbon. Unknown December 8, 2016
St. Thomas Episcopal Church Two polaroids of St. Thomas Episcopal Church at 182 Summit Avenue Unknown December 8, 2016
Front View from the North of the St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Glen Carbon Two photographs of the St. Thomas Episcopal Church located at 182 Summit Avenue in Glen Carbon Unknown December 8, 2016
Bethel Meeting House Memorial Next to Brick Home Erected near this site in 1805 by the frontier citizens of the Goshen Settlement was the first Methodist Church in Illinois. These grounds surrounding it were the scene of many early camp meetings and frontier revivals. In later years the church burned and was not rebuilt but at cedar grove, Ebenezer, Salem at Wanda and St. John’s at Edwardsville, to which the Bethel congregation moved after the fire. This stone is a memorial to those pioneers through whose vision and sacrifice the Methodist Church was founded in Illinois. Unknown December 8, 2016
Bethel Meeting House Memorial Stone Erected near this site in 1805 by the frontier citizens of the Goshen Settlement was the first Methodist Church in Illinois. These grounds surrounding it were the scene of many early camp meetings and frontier revivals. In later years the church burned and was not rebuilt but at cedar grove, Ebenezer, Salem at Wanda and St. John’s at Edwardsville, to which the Bethel congregation moved after the fire. This stone is a memorial to those pioneers through whose vision and sacrifice the Methodist Church was founded in Illinois. Unknown December 8, 2016