Bluffs and Piasa Bird, 2016

Browse Items (5 total)

  • Tags: Brick yard
Thumbnail Title Description Date Date Added
The Cut Narrow gauge railway carried from Brick yard to the railroad 1902 December 8, 2016
Mules used to haul brick from brick yard to railroad Mules were used to haul brick from the brick yard to the railroad. They made a little road that went by Nickel Plate Station. 1904 December 8, 2016
Men working at the brick yard Men working at the brick yard Unknown December 8, 2016
The Shale Pit Edwardsville Intelligencer, January 11, 1894 “Chicago’s city council has given Glen Carbon brick an endorsement that will make the product from shale in this locality rank with the highest quality of brick manufactured. The Council Monday evening adopted what is known as the ‘brick ordinance.’ The ordinance provides that the quality of bricks used in the City of Chicago must be of equal quality as those being manufactured in Glen Carbon.” Unknown December 8, 2016
The St. Louis Brick Yard Workers The St. Louis Press Brick Company was once of the interests of the Niedringhaus Family of Granite City and St. Louis. The brick ward began operations about 1891 and was the largest brick manufacturing plant in the State of Illinois at the time. The company earned a reputation as manufacturing the finest bricks to be found and local lore insists that the company produced all of the bricks used in the construction of the St. Louis World’s Fair in 1904. In addition to manufacturing paving and building bricks, the company produced beautiful decorative bricks. Hundreds of men from neighboring communities where employed by the brick company. Several boarding houses as well as rows of “company houses” were constructed for employees. The employees had their own ball team, an active union, and a park for social activities. Unknown December 8, 2016