Horseshoe Lake, 2016

Bethel Meeting House Memorial Stone

Citation

“Bethel Meeting House Memorial Stone,” Madison Historical, accessed September 29, 2022, https://madison-historical.siue.edu/archive/items/show/418.

Rights

The content of Madison Historical: The Online Encyclopedia and Digital Archive is publicly available for use in research, teaching, and private study. Encyclopedia articles, oral histories, web design, and other content original to Madison Historical are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Images in encyclopedia articles not part of the digital archive are either in the public domain or Madison Historical received use permission by the original creators. While in most cases Madison Historical received permission to publish archive items from the institution or individual who possessed the item, it has not determined their copyright status. Please contact the possessing institution or individual for additional information regarding copyright status.

Description

Erected near this site in 1805 by the frontier citizens of the Goshen Settlement was the first Methodist Church in Illinois. These grounds surrounding it were the scene of many early camp meetings and frontier revivals. In later years the church burned and was not rebuilt but at cedar grove, Ebenezer, Salem at Wanda and St. John’s at Edwardsville, to which the Bethel congregation moved after the fire. This stone is a memorial to those pioneers through whose vision and sacrifice the Methodist Church was founded in Illinois.

Relevant Encyclopedia Article

Type

  • Photograph

Identifier

  • GCHM-P-0134
  • Original archive: 10-02-004_1
We are always committed to accuracy in our articles and archive items. If you notice a mistake or have a suggestion, please contact us.