Great River Road, 2016

Glen Carbon

December 15, 2017

Last modified: January 23, 2019

In 1801, Colonel Samuel Judy was the first American to settle the area that would become Glen Carbon. The region at the time was known as the Goshen Settlement.1 Glen Carbon was incorporated as a village on June 6, 1892 as a coal mining town and a hub for railroads. By 1900, Glen Carbon had a population of 1,348 people.2 As of the 2010 census, the village of Glen Carbon has a population of 12,934.3

Glen Carbon in 2017
From the Maps & Plats GIS Division of the Madison County Chief County Assessment Office

To access the village of Glen Carbon’s website, follow this link.

Endnotes   [ + ]

1. History of Madison County, Illinois, Illustrated. With Biographical Sketches of many Prominent Men and Pioneers (Edwardsville: W. R. Brink and Company, 1882), 454.
2. W. T. Norton, ed., Centennial History of Madison County, Illinois, and Its People, 1812 to 1912. (Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1912), 618.
3. Illinois: 2010, Summary Population and Housing Characteristics, 2010 Census of Population and Housing (Washington: Bureau of the Census, 2012), 126.
Cite this article: Nichol Allen and Ben Ostermeier, "Glen Carbon," Madison Historical: The Online Encyclopedia and Digital Archive for Madison County, Illinois, last modified January 23, 2019, https://madison-historical.siue.edu/encyclopedia/glen-carbon/.
We are always committed to accuracy in our articles and archive items. If you notice a mistake or have a suggestion, please contact us.