Great River Road, 2016

Worden

December 15, 2017

Last modified: February 27, 2019

In 1860, Hampton Wall laid out a town in Omphghent Township, naming it New Hampton. In 1870, the Decatur and East St. Louis railroad was built through the town, and the station was given the name Worden for John C. Worden, a local businessman and railroad agent. The village of Worden was incorporated October 22, 1877.1 In 1880, Worden had a population of 384.2 As of the 2010 census, the village of Worden has a population of 1,044.3

Worden in 2017
From the Maps & Plats GIS Division of the Madison County Chief County Assessment Office

Endnotes   [ + ]

1. Flagg, James S., editor, Our 150 Years, 1812-1962. (Edwardsville: East 10 Publishing, 1962.), 61.
2. Statistics of the Population of the United States at the Tenth Census (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1883), 139.
3. Illinois: 2010, Summary Population and Housing Characteristics, 2010 Census of Population and Housing (Washington: Bureau of the Census, 2012), 64.
Cite this article: Nichol Allen, "Worden," Madison Historical: The Online Encyclopedia and Digital Archive for Madison County, Illinois, last modified February 27, 2019, https://madison-historical.siue.edu/encyclopedia/worden/.
We are always committed to accuracy in our articles and archive items. If you notice a mistake or have a suggestion, please contact us.