Browse Items (1518 total)
|1920 Buffalo Nickel||This is a 1920 Buffalo Nickel (or Indian-Head nickel) that was minted from 1913-1938. This nickel was originally designed by James E. Fraser. There were about a total of 1.2 Billion of these Buffalo nickels minted before October 1938, when the Jefferson nickel began production and circulation. Nickels like these are worth about 10 cents if they are dateless, and 60-70 cents if they are in good condition. However, In uncirculated condition, these coins can be worth about three thousand dollars. This artifact was photographed as a part of a Madison Historical clas trip to Liberty Middle School in February 2020.
This artifact was contributed by Hanseno Zheng from Bai Zheng's collection.
|1920||March 4, 2020|
|19th Century Rifle of The Bank of Edwardsville's First Bank President||This rifle was used for protection from bank robbers at the Bank of Edwardsville in the late 19th century. It was manufactured by the Winchester Repeating Arms Co. in October, 1884, and was passed down from the first bank president, E.M.(1868-1887) to each bank president until 2004, when the presiding president gave it to his son, Scott Wetzel.
This image was collected as a part of a Madison Historical class visit to Liberty Middle School in February 2020. These images were contributed by Corbin Wetzel and his father, Scott Wetzel.
|October 14, 1884||March 4, 2020|
|1852-1862 Silver Serving Fork made by St. Louis Based, Jaacard & Co.||This silver fork was made by Eugene Jaacard & Co., a St. Louis-based company, sometime between 1852-1862. This artifact was photographed as a part of a Madison Historical class visit to Liberty Middle School in February 2020.
This fork was contributed by Trey Schroeder and his maternal family.
|1852 - 1862||March 4, 2020|
|1969 Moscow Ruble Coins||This was the official Russian Currency used between 1917 to the end of the Soviet Union in 1991. At its height, it was worth approximately .991667 USD. This currency was made between 1969 and 1980s. It was probably made in the capital of the Soviet union, Moscow.
These coins were photographed as a part of a Madison Historical class visit to Liberty Middle School in February 2020, contributed by Arik Screnchuk and his family.
|1969||March 4, 2020|
|1895 Photograph of the Rizvi Family in Amroha, India||The photograph is of the Rizvi Family in 1895. Specifically, this image shows Ali Jan Rivzi, a district magistrate of Amroha, India. The text written around the photo is in Urdu.
This photograph was scanned as a part of a Madison Historical class visit to Liberty Middle School. This photograph was contributed by Maarij Rivzi.
|1895||March 4, 2020|
|Horse Tethering Ring||This horse tethering ring was found where an old log cabin used to be. It is very fragile due to oxidization and is rusty with a rough texture. It was likely attached to a wall, pole, fence, or other structure. Attatched to it would be a chain where people would tie their horses so they would not run away.
This artifact was photographed as a part of a Madison Historical visit to Liberty Middle School in February 2020 and contributed by Aurora Pilkington.
|1840s||March 4, 2020|
|1800s to 1910s, Highland, Illinois; old silverware||This is a fork and knife that belonged to a woman named Eileen Kolnsberg. This cutlery set was used in the late 1800's and early 1910's by Kolnsberg's family when she was a little girl. The three-pronged fork was used to to flip meat was cooked for her family, and friends, while the knife was used to spread butter. The Kolnsberg family moved from Monticello, Illinois to Highland, Illinois in the early 1950s. Since the death of Eileen, the pair has not been in use.
This set of cutlery was photographed as a part of a Madison Historical class visit to Liberty Middle School in February 2020. It was brought to class by Olivia Kolnsberg.
|1890 - 1930||March 4, 2020|
|Wooden Replica Figurine of the Wooden Wildey Theater||This is a wooden replica of The Wildey Theater. Widley Theater was built by the Edwardsville Chapter of the International Order of Odd Fellows as an Opera House in 1909. The second floor of Widley Theater was used as a community room and the third floor was used by Odd Fellows for meetings. The theater, with its carved wooden railings, box seats, and large stage, served as the setting for many plays, operettas, community events, and later, for films.
This artifact was photographed as a part of a Madison Historical class visit to Liberty Middle School in February 2020. It was brought to class by Madelyn Goodman.
|Circa 1980||March 4, 2020|
|1967 Stanley Handyman Block Plane||The Stanley Handyman block plane is used to shave wood. This wood shaver is made mostly of metal, but has two wooden handles. The grip on the front can be changed out or adjusted. This specific block plane was purchased in the late 1960's, after the specific brand's quality dropped in the 1920s.
This artifact was photographed as a part of a Madison Historical class visit to Liberty Middle School in February 2020, and was contributed by Brynn Gent and family.
|1967||March 4, 2020|
|Swiss Parfait Recipe from the Gont Family||This is a recipe card for a Swiss Parfait, an oat-based dessert served in the Cook family of Madison County during the holidays for two decades. This recipe was written by Marlene Gont(sic) in Downers Grove, IL in 2000. Transcription: Swiss Parfait. 2 cups uncooked oats, 32oz. Low-fat vanilla yogurt, 16oz can crushed pineapple juice, 4 tablespoons sliced almonds(optional). Combine all and refrigerate overnight, or up to 1 week. Serve chilled and enjoy.
This recipe card was scanned as a part of a Madison Historical class visit to Liberty Middle School in February 2020. This card was contributed by Hayden Cook and the Cook Family.
|2000||March 4, 2020|