Horseshoe Lake, 2016

Browse Items (3 total)

  • Tags: Methodist Church
Thumbnail Title Description Date Date Added
Bethel Meeting House Memorial Stone Erected near this site in 1805 by the frontier citizens of the Goshen Settlement was the first Methodist Church in Illinois. These grounds surrounding it were the scene of many early camp meetings and frontier revivals. In later years the church burned and was not rebuilt but at cedar grove, Ebenezer, Salem at Wanda and St. John’s at Edwardsville, to which the Bethel congregation moved after the fire. This stone is a memorial to those pioneers through whose vision and sacrifice the Methodist Church was founded in Illinois. Unknown December 8, 2016
Bethel Meeting House Memorial Next to Brick Home Erected near this site in 1805 by the frontier citizens of the Goshen Settlement was the first Methodist Church in Illinois. These grounds surrounding it were the scene of many early camp meetings and frontier revivals. In later years the church burned and was not rebuilt but at cedar grove, Ebenezer, Salem at Wanda and St. John’s at Edwardsville, to which the Bethel congregation moved after the fire. This stone is a memorial to those pioneers through whose vision and sacrifice the Methodist Church was founded in Illinois. Unknown December 8, 2016
Little Light Bearers of the Women's Foreign Missionary Society The photo features the Little Light Bearers of the Women's Foreign Missionary Society of the Collinsville Methodist Church. June 1933 October 26, 2017