Originally known as township 4 range 6, Marine Township was first settled by Major Isaac H. Ferguson and his brother-in-law John Warwick in 1813.1 Subsequent growth and settlement took place from 1820-1830 and the township became known as Marine Township. Marine village was incorporated March 8, 1867,2 and by 1910 it had 685 citizens.3 As of the 2010 census, Marine village has a population of 960.4
To access the village of Marine’s website, follow this link.
Endnotes [ + ]
|1.||arrow_upward||History of Madison County, Illinois, Illustrated. With Biographical Sketches of many Prominent Men and Pioneers (Edwardsville: W. R. Brink and Company, 1882), 83.|
|2.||arrow_upward||Flagg, James S., editor, Our 150 Years, 1812-1962. (Edwardsville: East 10 Publishing, 1962.), 61.|
|3.||arrow_upward||W. T. Norton, ed., Centennial History of Madison County, Illinois, and Its People, 1812 to 1912. (Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1912), 566.|
|4.||arrow_upward||Illinois: 2010, Summary Population and Housing Characteristics, 2010 Census of Population and Housing (Washington: Bureau of the Census, 2012), 62.|