Horseshoe Lake, 2016

Browse Items (32 total)

  • Tags: Religion
Thumbnail Title Description Date Date Added
100 Years of Grace: St. Paul Lutheran Church 1956 Centennial History Book This book was created in 1956 to celebrate centennial anniversary of St. Paul Lutheran Church located in Hamel, Illinois. The centennial anniversary was celebrated on October 21, 1956. Included in this book are a brief history of the church, various pictures from the church's history, and a list of all the members of the church in 1956. 1956 April 11, 2019
150 Years of Blessings: St. Paul Lutheran Church 2006 Sesquicentennial History Book This book was created in 2006 to celebrate 150th anniversary of St. Paul Lutheran Church located in Hamel, Illinois. The sesquicentennial anniversary was celebrated in October of 2006. Included in this book are a brief history of the church through 2006 and many images from its history. 2006 April 11, 2019
1895 Treasurer’s Annual Report for the Church of the Redeemer in Alton This three-page typed document is the annual financial report of the treasurer of Church of the Redeemer in Alton, Illinois in 1895. The report covers the fiscal year starting October 1, 1894 and ending October 1, 1895. The Church of the Redeemer was built in 1870, changed its name to First Congregational Church in the middle of the twentieth century, and closed its doors in the latter half of the century. The building still stands at the intersection of Sixth and Henry Streets (600 Henry Street) in Alton. As of September 2018, it is the site of the Whole Truth Church of Christ.

This newsletter was digitized by Phillip Schneider as part of History 400: Community-Engaged Digital History.
1895-10-01 September 16, 2018
1921 Year Book and Directory for The Church of the Redeemer in Alton This yearbook and directory were printed for Church of the Redeemer in Alton, Illinois in 1921. The book offers a detailed history of their building and the congregation. Also contained in the booklet is the church’s constitution, standing rules (bylaws), and explanations of their denomination (Congregationalism) and church membership. The rest of the booklet is dedicated to listing the names and address of the church’s members. The Church of the Redeemer changed its name to First Congregational Church in the middle of the twentieth century and closed its doors in the later half of the century. The building still stands at the intersection of Sixth and Henry Streets (600 Henry Street) in Alton, Illinois. As of September 2018, it is the site of the Whole Truth Church of Christ. This booklet also contains numerous advertisements for area businesses who sponsored the printing of the booklet.

This booklet was digitized by Phillip Schneider as part of History 400: Community-Engaged Digital History.
1921-2-21 September 16, 2018
1940 Ticket for Evangelical Lecture in Granite City<br /><br />
This ticket for an evangelical lecture belonged to Granite City resident Ernie J. Vaught. He attended the event at 7:30 p.m. on June 24, 1940 with his son William. The Big Tent was set up near 1800 Adams St. where Prairie Farms Dairy is now. The ticket for the event cost 35 cents. Charles Forbes Taylor (born 1899) was a traveling Baptist evangelist and author. Also featured on this card is Charles Taylor's brother, Laurie, who was also a minister, pianist, and composer. He often accompanied his brother Charles at evangelical events.

This certificate was digitized by Kelli Killion as part of History 400: Community-Engaged Digital History.
June 24, 1940 September 15, 2018
1945 Church of the Redeemer Congregational Church in Alton This photograph was taken in November 1945 as part of the commemoration of the Church of the Redeemer’s 75th anniversary. The church was first built in 1870 and was expanded in 1902. The building still stands at the intersection of Sixth and Henry Streets (600 Henry Street) in Alton, Illinois. As of July 2017, it is the site of the Whole Truth Church of Christ. November 1945 July 20, 2017
Bethel Meeting House Memorial Next to Brick Home Erected near this site in 1805 by the frontier citizens of the Goshen Settlement was the first Methodist Church in Illinois. These grounds surrounding it were the scene of many early camp meetings and frontier revivals. In later years the church burned and was not rebuilt but at cedar grove, Ebenezer, Salem at Wanda and St. John’s at Edwardsville, to which the Bethel congregation moved after the fire. This stone is a memorial to those pioneers through whose vision and sacrifice the Methodist Church was founded in Illinois. Unknown December 8, 2016
Bethel Meeting House Memorial Stone Erected near this site in 1805 by the frontier citizens of the Goshen Settlement was the first Methodist Church in Illinois. These grounds surrounding it were the scene of many early camp meetings and frontier revivals. In later years the church burned and was not rebuilt but at cedar grove, Ebenezer, Salem at Wanda and St. John’s at Edwardsville, to which the Bethel congregation moved after the fire. This stone is a memorial to those pioneers through whose vision and sacrifice the Methodist Church was founded in Illinois. Unknown December 8, 2016
Betty J. Vaughn Oral History Interview In this oral history interview, Betty J. Vaughn discusses her role as the first female supervisor of Olin Brass in East Alton. She also describes her childhood growing up on a farm in Bethalto and changes in Madison County throughout her life. 2018-07-10 September 16, 2018
Boys and Girls after First Communion Ceremony Boys and Girls after First Communion Ceremony . Front Row from Left to Right: Charles Henry, DeVere Neutzling, Lawrence Sasek, Leo Mateyka, Melvin Mateyka, Harold Ernst, Lenhordt Kanturek, Roman Stolcis, Charles Biarkis, Francis Mateyka, Leonard Scheibal, Alvin Scheibal.
Middle Row from Left to Right: Anna Bollinger, Marian (Hilla) Hackethal, Thelma Becker, Gloria Piazzi, Evelyn (Viere) Wiechman, Helen Slemmer, Dorothy Skubic, Charlotte (Henry) Evenocheck, Lillian (Sedlacek) Weiler, Elizabeth Luksan, Anges Kramer, Anna (Bezdek) Harris, Katherine Kruse, Jennie (Ranek) Dickshot, Rose (Henry) Kolesa, Blanche Neutzling, Frances Ambrozat, Helen (Nicolussi) Garcia.
Back Row from Left to Right: Joseph Mateyka, Lillian Zajicek, Hedwig (Kohanski) Cerny, Joseph Jaros, John Spivak, Stanley Spivak, Anthony Jaros, Joseph Scheibal, Rev. Charles A. Meagher, Lawrence Scheibal, Leroy Scheibal, Robert Kubicek, Stanley Biarkis, unidentified, Margaret (Kovarik) Stoces, Gladys (Kubicek) Schlueten, Ray Kubicek,
Unknown December 8, 2016